Sunday, April 11, 2010

Antonelli's Cheese Shop



4220 Duval Street
Austin, TX 78751
(512) 531-9610


I stopped by Antonelli's Cheese Shop today to check the place out.  I'd read a few articles about the place and the story intrigued me - a young couple with no background in the cheese world, set out to learn about it and subsequently opened a little shop on Hyde Park, offering some of the finest cheeses around. 

For anyone that knows me, or has read parts of this blog, you will not be surprised to hear that I'm a tad bit obsessed with cheese.  I'd put it somewhere behind wine, but in front of cooking.  I've gleefully made pilgrimages to Murray's Cheese Shop in NYC, Pure Luck Farm in Driftwood (to actually learn how to make cheese for three days), and Cowgirl Creamery in San Francisco.  I know a little something about cheese.

I'm happy to report that this little, spare store has a small, but well-edited selection.  I spied the usuals - Humboldt Fog, Pure Luck, Epoisse, St. Felicien, Comte, etc. - however there were some new ones.  I checked out the Tarentaise, a semi-hard, golden cheese from Vermont, as well as the Red Hawk from Cowgirl Creamery (an old washed-rind fave) and a really intriguing Blu di Bufala, a blue cheese made from buffalo's milk (boy does it pack a punch).  They have a strong USA representation, with a lot of California and Vermont.  The couple was working behind the counter.  They were both very sweet and helpful when it came to the cheese.    

Antonelli's also offers salumi carrying the heavyweights - Fra'Mani, Creminelli, etc., as well as little cheese accompaniments - nuts, olives, chocolate.  Altogether, it was a very pleasant place.  I'm hopeful that they will do well.  Their website is a little sparse, but they state that they will begin hosting tastings which I would definitely love to check out.  Great little addition to the Austin gourmet food scene.  

No comments:

Post a Comment