Sunday, September 19, 2010

Florida in September


This past week I spent in Florida, mostly Orlando, for a work-conference.  I did manage to tack on some personal travel down to Miami as well.  Before I headed down to Miami to see friends, I took myself to Epcot!  I know, who goes to a Disney park by themselves?  Only crazy people like me.  In any case, I’m glad I did.  I stayed in one of the Port Orleans Disney properties (I would NOT recommend) and caught a showing of Eat Pray Love at Downtown Disney (also not a high recommendation) on Thursday night.  

On Friday, I headed to Epcot itself, which I would recommend.  I had a great time wandering around the world showcase, visiting 11 countries around a large, placid lake.  It was really pleasant and I enjoyed wandering through all of the food and curio stores, as well as the fantastic designs.  My favorites were the UK, France and Japan.  I ended up eating at the median-priced Les Chefs de France, and I had a very passing French lunch.  I was surprised by how much alcohol was at Epcot.  I mean, I guess I have only been to the Magic Kingdom before, so I don’t have much to compare to, but every country had some kind of tasting – wine, beer, sake – and there were little stalls selling such beverages outside as well.  Crazy!  It was a little too hot and early in the day for me to feel like partaking, but you could have quite the pub-crawl there.

On Friday night I headed down to Miami, to stay with my friends, Natalie, Jeff and Sophie.  We had a great, early dinner at Matsuri, a Japanese restaurant that is quite hidden in an unassuming strip mall (the good ones always seem to be).  I was feeling a little stuffed after my French lunch, so I tried an intriguing roll that was made without rice and wrapped in cucumber.  It was refreshing, but hard to eat.  Otherwise, this restaurant turned out classics and creative dishes alike.  A Coral Gables gem.  While we spent most of the weekend relaxing (finally!) we also ate at two other newish restaurants.  Natalie and I had a tasty brunch at George’s in the Grove (the chef and owner used to own Le Bouchon du Grove.  I’m always a fan of a place that starts out by giving you a free mimosa.  The menu is decidedly French, but has a lot of other cultural references.  We enjoyed our meal and the somewhat crazy décor.  I think this place is going to do very well.  

The best, and craziest, meal was Saturday night at Hakkasan in the remodeled Fontainebleau Hotel on the beach.  The hotel is beautiful and satisfyingly scene-y (I love people watching).  The restaurant is actually upstairs.  The décor is intense and amazing.  It feels like you’re walking into an old, but hip Chinese house.  There are tons of dark wooden screens and carvings, and the lighting is very dim.  My only complaint is that the background music was not background, but club music.  I like being able to hear my dining companions!  The sommelier at Hakkasan, David Mokha, was awarded one of the best sommeliers of the year for 2009 by Food and Wine, so we wanted to see what he would recommend.  Alas, he was not available, but another sommelier was very helpful.  In general,  I really like the list - there were so many reasonably priced bottles from great regions.  We had the 2008 Adelsheim Pinot Noir – lovely, light fruit, with a pleasing earthy undertone, but not too much tobacco like some Oregon pinots.  It was a suitable counterpoint to our large, and intense meal.  We had everything from fried rice, to hand-pulled noodles, to lettuce wraps and braised short ribs.  I think my favorites were the crispy duck rolls (succulent duck meet with a spring onion and a hoisin dipping sauce), the short ribs (slowly braised in a clay pot with soy and five spice – ridiculously tender), and the hand-pulled mushroom noodles (it was like lo mein on crack – fantastic).  The desserts were great too.  I really loved the pandan soufflé with coconut ice cream.  All together, it was a gastronomic delight! 

I was sorry to leave Miami this morning, but I am glad to be heading home after so many days away, even if it is only for a little bit….




No comments:

Post a Comment