Friday, May 28, 2010

Miami, FL

Over the last 5 years, I've been lucky to be able to visit Miami somewhat frequently.  My good friends, Natalie, Jeff and now little Sophie, have been living there since I graduated from law school.  I visited them right before I started my first job during the weekend Katrina hit.  I arrived after the hurricane had made a mess of Miami and before it devastated New Orleans.  Natalie and Jeff lived in a cute little condo in Coconut Grove - a fabulous neighborhood and outdoor shopping center south of downtown that has tons of cute shops and eateries.  Natalie had just moved to Miami, so we spent the weekend exploring South Beach, the Grove, Little Havana - we went to the extremely Cuban restaurant Versailles, where I ordered their Cuban Sandwich (a crazy grilled ham and cheese sandwich - lots of pork) .  It was great driving around in the air-conditioned car, as the power for much of the city had been knocked out....

Since that first trip, I've been back quite a few times.    Below, a few of my favorites....

130 NE 40th St
Miami, FL 33137
305 573-5550

I got to eat at this stylish, Design District restaurant on my last trip to Miami in May.  The Chef, Michael Schwartz, creates toothsome, filling and uncomplicated dishes that let the ingredients shine.  Natalie, Jeff and I went nuts ordering from the variously sized plates - small, medium, large and extra-large.  Some standout plates included the Wood-Roasted Double Yoke Farm Egg (a fantastic fondue-like creation) and the Tuna Tartare.  

6927 Biscayne Boulevard 
Miami, FL 33138
305 759-2001

I love Michy's.  I've been to this restaurant almost every time I've been to Miami.  It's the brainchild of Chef, Michelle Berstein, and it is a culinary showcase for her Latin and Jewish roots.  The restaurant is small, but decorated with strong flowered wallpaper, and bright white tables and chairs.  I love her Peruvian Style Ceviche, as well as her White Gazpacho an her Short Ribs Falling Off the Bone (they are sinful).  

4000 Northeast 2nd Avenue
Miami, FL 33137
305 573-5474

This is a new restaurant from Chef Michelle Bernstein.  It is located in the Design District, a block or so away from Michael's Genuine.  I haven't actually eaten here, but I've grabbed a drink before dinner.  It is supposed to be a Mexican restaurant.  The reviews seem to be lukewarm, however, I had fun hanging out at the bar.  I plan on checking it out next time I'm in town.  

600 Lincoln Road
Miami Beach, FL 33139
305 673-5337

I actually first went to Sushi Samba in NYC almost 10 years ago (!) at their original location on Park Avenue.  I've since checked out the Miami outpost on the pedestrian shopping street, Lincoln Road.  This location continues with the Japanese, Brazilian, Peruvian fusion cuisine.  I like the combination of sushi and ceviche - I love spicy food and Japanese food and so a marriage of the two is perfect.  Of course, since this is Miami, there is a nice outdoor eating area to let you people watch to your heart's delight.  

One Lincoln Road
Miami Beach, FL 33139
786 276-4000

I stayed here with my husband, Stephen, on one of my first trips to Miami.  It was a great experience; we were upgraded for free to basically a small apartment with a perfect view of South Beach.  We also had one of the best Sunday Brunches I've ever had.  Great selection, impeccable service, perfect view.  I highly recommend.  

81801 Overseas Highway, Mile Marker 82 
Islamorada, FL 33036
305 664-4651

On my last trip, I went down to the Keys, specifically Islamorada, with Natalie, Jeff and Sophie.  We spent the day hanging out at Cheeca Lodge.  It's a great little resort that's quietly luxurious and apparently a great place to do sport-fishing, etc.  We took a less adventurous approach.  First we had a light lunch next to the water and then we sipped mixed drinks while watching Sophie play in the sand.  Tough day...





No comments:

Post a Comment