Saturday, June 5, 2010

Some Recent Travel

Lately, I've been doing quite a bit of traveling.  Some of it's been for fun, some for work...  In either case, I have managed to eat at a few nifty places along the way.  

Phoenix, AZ

I've gotten to go to Phoenix in the spring every year for the last three years.  This year, my brother, Clayton, got married there.  We were able to stay at our favorite hotel in Scottsdale, the Westin Kierland.  It's just so pretty - lots of influence from Frank Lloyd Wright - and relaxed (it has a lazy river).  It's supposed to be great for golf too.   I like the restaurant that's actually in the hotel, Deseo.  It serves up latin food including quite a range of ceviches.  Right across the street is the lovely Kierland Commons.  It's an outdoor shopping area that has an upscale range of shops and eateries.  I've tried, and recommend, North (a rustic, Italian spot) and The Greenhouse (California-inspired cuisine).  Finally, in Old Scottsdale, I got to check out Arcadia Farms, which is a really nice and elegant, lunch spot.  

Orlando, FL

I headed to Orlando in early May for a work-related conference.   We stayed in the really nice Grande Lakes JW Marriott - lots of marble and open spaces.  We ate at the hotel's main upscale restaurant, Primo.  It is an Italian restaurant with a strong focus on local and seasonal ingredients.  The chef, Melissa Kelley, opened her first location of Primo in Maine.  Everything was well-prepared, but it was not inspiring, and a little pricey.  

Detroit, MI

I got to travel to Michigan for the first time this summer, and to Detroit no less.  I'm not sure what I was expecting - evidence of economic downturn at it's worst?  I did see a lot of run down homes and un-repaired streets (including 8 Mile), but I also saw some lovely parts of town.  I got to eat at two nice restaurants, both with a fish focus.  I ate dinner at the very posh and sleek Ocean-Prime and then followed with lunch at the more old-school Mitchell's Fish Market.  A pleasant experience.  

Fresno, CA

This was my first time to visit a non-coastal Californian city.  Let me just say that I had a really bad travel experience getting home and I'm not sure how much that has tinged my perception.  I did not like Fresno.  It was greener than I thought it was going to be, but no great restaurants (we at at a P.F. Chang's), no great sites...  maybe, if I go back under better conditions, I will like it more....

No comments:

Post a Comment