Sunday, June 20, 2010

New York in June


Stephen and I spent a weekend in NYC visiting my sister Emma.  We hit some of my usual spots - BG Cafe, Balthazar, Kee's Chocolates, etc. - but added some new ones to the mix.  Most of them had excellent food, but it was of the less-complicated variety.  Homey, but tasty.  Check them out....

54 Carmine Street
New York, NY 10014
212 255-2100

This charming restaurant in the west village offers well-executed yet homey dishes in a relaxed and open atmosphere.  I particularly love that exposed brick look and the huge windows overlooking the street.  We had a lovely dinner there including one of the best pan-roasted chickens I've ever had (it was glorious, and it came with this fontina fondue that was to die for).  We sampled the calamari, which was pleasant but not stunning, as well as the risotto and salad special for the day, which was a particularly yummy combination of strawberries and arugula, as well as the halibut.  We were so stuffed by dessert that all we could manage was some gelato.  The wine list is small, but nicely edited.  I sampled an Austrian Zweigelt - a nice rose - which was a first for me.  Overall, not too pricey, I would go back again!

7 Rivington Street
New York, NY 10002-1226
212 253-7077

The USA v UK World Cup game was taking place during our stay and Stephen was not going to miss it.  We managed to find a nice German bar/restaurant on the lower east side.  The place was a mad house, but so was everywhere else.  They had a great list of German beers and we ordered a sampler plate of sausages and sauerkraut.  We would have enjoyed sitting outside in the biergarten, but it was packed...

The Limelight
47 West 20th Street 
New York, NY 10011-3701
212 226-7585

My cousin, Stephanie, took us here on Sunday afternoon.  This place used to be a notorious night club, and before that a church!  It is now a little shopping center filled with specialty food stalls, tiny clothing shops and other knick-knack and bric-a-brac purveyors.  Quite a beautiful space and a fun spot to spend a rainy afternoon.

Chelsea Market
75 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10011-7006
212 620-7500

This little shop offers amazing, fresh fruit pops and ices.  The flavor combinations are fun and a bit unusual - I had a blueberry and cardamom version, my cousin had the slightly more usual strawberry and basil.  We didn't sample the ices, but they are probably excellent as they hand shave a huge block of ice to create each cup!

848 Washington Street
New York, NY 10014
212 645-4646

I've been wanting to try the Standard Grill since last summer, when I first got to check out the hyline.  Even though the Standard Hotel is all about stark modernity, the Standard Grill feels a bit like a throw back to an earlier era with it's white and black trim facade, comfy leather booths, dark wood interior and penny floor.  The food, though pricey and well-executed, has a comfy edge to it as well.  We sampled quite a bit from the dinner menu; particular standouts were the meats we ordered "From the Counter", the Escarole, Feta & Grape Salad, the Ricotta Cavatelli and the Atlantic Halibut.  I also enjoyed a baked-alaska style dessert.  The service was prompt, the wine list, at least by the glass, reasonable and well-priced.  I would recommend if you're in the area!

164 West 75th Street
New York, NY 10023-1903
212 787-6300

I got to go to this upper west side Italian restaurant for a work dinner.  I didn't know what to expect, but it was fantastic.  The food was well prepared, classic and Italian but still had a comfort edge to it.  I really enjoyed the antipasti platter and an orrechiete pasta with lamb sausage.  The sommelier was great as well.  We tried some really unusual regional Italian wines - such as a cabernet franc from Piedmont.  The atmosphere is warm yet restrained, and has a bit of an old world vibe.  Lovely.

233 Bleecker St
New York, 10014
212 206-1738

I walked past the downtown location (it's right near Market Table) and have been to the upper west side location many times.  This is the brainchild of two northern Italians.  This is seriously gourmet gelato, with prices to match.  Their pistachio is to die for, however, and I will go back and spend whatever I need to just to taste it again!

105 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10013-2331
212 334-4445

My sister, Emma, really wanted sushi, and so on a lark we decided to go to Nobu Next Door.  I've been to Nobu before so I was interested to check out the sister restaurant (it's literally next door) that was billed as being more accessible from both a culinary and a wait list perspective.  It had many of the same classics that made Nobu famous - we ordered the hamachi with Serrano peppers for example - as well as standard Japanese restaurant fare as well - miso, edamame, etc.  It was a nice dinner, but not stunning.  I definitely prefer the original, but this will certainly do in a pinch!


725 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021
212 288-6400

Stephen and I met my family at Asia Society for a lovely, light lunch in their Garden Court Cafe.  This is a great little gem on the upper east side that turns out pan-Asian cuisine for reasonable prices.  I always enjoy their salads, and the Pad Thai is a good go to.  Plus, the environment is very soothing - you're in a window-filled atrium with bamboo and trees.  What's not to like?

    

10 Columbus Circle
New York, NY 10019-1158
212 823-9366


Part of the Thomas Keller empire, this bakery/cafe is located on the third floor of the Time Warner Center.  It offers the most amazing baked goods - macarons, sticky buns, french breads, viennoiserie - as well as beautifully presented cafe fare - light salads, french-style sandwiches, quiches, etc.  I love making a stop every time I'm in NYC.  I understand my sister, Emma, liked it so much she made it at least a weekly habit.  The Time Warner Center is worth a visit itself if you've never been...


The Norwood is a fantastic club of sorts that's members are in the art community - artists, gallery owners, etc.  It's in a lovely townhouse on 14th street.  We were able to go there for after dinner drinks with my cousin and her boyfriend, who's a member.  We sat outside and relaxed in the ivy-lined courtyard, under a large tree strung with Japanese lanterns.  I would recommend going if you know a member.



No comments:

Post a Comment