Thursday, August 12, 2010

Burlington, VT

This past week I got to spend several days in Vermont and New Hampshire for work.  I spent most of my time in Burlington (great town), but had a chance to venture to Hanover, New Hampshire and Waterbury, Vermont as well.  The countryside in August is gorgeous – lush green mountains under cloud studded blue skies!  Below a few highlights:

Hanover Inn, Hanover, New Hampshire

This Inn has been around for centuries.  Located right on the main quad of Dartmouth college, it is a quaint must if you are in the region.  I had lunch at Zin’s restaurant which served up mildly, globally influenced New England fare.  I just think it’s really pretty!

Ben & Jerry’s Factory, Waterbury, Vermont

I stopped by the “Factory” on my drive back from New Hampshire.  This place was a zoo - people milling about at the fair-like entrance making tie-dye shirts and taking pictures in front of cow statues, etc.  I braved the environment to score a milkshake with a flavor not normally found elsewhere - whiskey toffee, praline, vanilla ice cream.  It was delicious.  If you have kids, this could entertain them for a while.  If you don't go early or really late to avoid the throngs.

Trattoria Delia, Burlington, Vermont

My coworkers and I ate at the Italian restaurant Trattoria Delia two nights in a row.  It was fantastic both times.  The restaurant has great ambiance - the inside has been styled to look like a rustic inn, all exposed, rough beams, dark wood and dim lighting.  I particularly enjoyed their scamorza alla griglia (grilled, smoked mozzarella with arugula and grilled vegetables), their bucatini all'amatriciana, and their panna cotta.  We also had a great wine off of their exclusively Italian list  - the 2005 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco. Simply Lovely.  

No comments:

Post a Comment