Saturday, August 14, 2010

Somnio's Cafe

1807 South First Street
Austin, TX 78704
512-442-2500


Somnio's Cafe is a little restaurant that's just down the block from my house.  It's been open for over 2 years now, but, until recently, I was never intrigued to venture over for a meal.  Stephen and I ate there last night and I'm pleased to report that, along with Thai Fresh, Enoteca and Torchy's, this place is going to become a regular.  Somnio's claims to offer eclectic, South Austin cuisine with a vegetarian edge - the restaurant definitely delivers.  

The restaurant is housed in this little house on a busy part of South First - I have to admit, the outside is part of the reason I wasn't intrigued.  It just didn't look good.  The inside continues with the South Austin vibe - as my husband said, it looks like they went to town at Goodwill.  Nothing matches - chairs, tables, plates, lighting fixtures, etc. - however, the overall look is one of slightly worn, comfyness.  It's not a place for a fancy date, but a great spot for tasty food in a low-key environment.

They do not have a liquor license and so are BYOB, which is awesome.  They charge a $2 per person corkage fee.  Stephen and I enjoyed a 2007 Melville Pinot Noir from Santa Barbara that we'd been meaning to drink for a while.  Lovely!

The menu is another part of the reason I wasn't initially interested in Somnio's.  It just looks too vegetarian/health food.  I'm glad I overlooked my instincts in this case as I found everything I ate to be really tasty and flavorful.  We ordered a hummus plate to start - lots of coarse hummus, feta cheese, carrots and olives with pita - filling and garlicky in a good way.  Then, I had to order one of their salads - the Sissy.  It was my favorite thing of the evening - spring mix, apples, jalapenos, pecans, avocado and a light vinaigrette.  We each had a taco.  I sampled the famed Nynavae tacos - mushroom fritters (like really good hush puppies) with a cabbage slaw - and Stephen had the orange pork tacos (a great non- vegetarian option!) -  succulent shredded pork, spinach and feta.  They definitely have a way with tacos.  We will be ordering those again. 

We were too stuffed for dessert, but I was not intrigued anyhow - vegan brownie.  I'm sorry, that just sounds bad.  

Besides their regular menu, they have a daily specials page that tempted.  I will definitely be trying in the future.  Check out this little hole in the wall on South First - it's worth it!   

No comments:

Post a Comment