Sunday, March 14, 2010

Crispy Hot and Sour Pork with Noodles


Tonight I started making Crispy Hot and Sour Pork with Noodles. The recipe calls for me to braise small cubes of pork in a rhubarb-soy-honey combination for an hour and a half. Since I don’t have that much time tomorrow when we’re actually supposed to eat the dish, I’m doing the braising tonight. It should get better over night in the sauce right?


It was actually really easy. I dumped rhubarb, ginger, garlic, chilies, soy sauce, honey and Chinese five spice powder together in a food processor and pulsed till a smooth sauce. I had purchased pork that was already pre-cut into 1-inch cubes, so I just combined the sauce, some water and the pork in a dutch oven. Then I baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour and a half. Thus far, the pork is really tasty!


Looking forward to stir-frying the pork and reducing the sauce tomorrow.


~~~~~~~


I removed the pork from the sauce and put it the side. The I reduced the sauce until it was nice and thick. It still tastes great today. I brought a pot of salted water to a boil and dropped some basic Chinese noodles in. While they were quickly cooking, I seared the pork pieces in a saute pan, until they were nicely browned. They did not become crispy, per se, as I think I used a much leaner cut of pork then was recommended. Still tasty, but, a little dry....


Once the noodles were done, I combine them with the pork, the sauce and some various veggies and salad greens before digging in. Overall the dish had a nice savory, umami edge, but it was a little heavy for my tastes. I'm not sure I'll make it again, but it was an interesting way to use rhubarb!


No comments:

Post a Comment