Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ranch 616 ☆☆

616 Nueces Street
Austin, TX 78701-2812
512-479-7616
Ranch 616 is an Austin institution that serves up Texas-style dishes in an appropriately wacky-Austin environment. It is located right off west 6th Street, behind Star Bar, and has both an indoor and an outdoor seating area. I know many people that love the Ranch. However, I’ve been several times and I just can’t come to love it. I thought it just might be the style of food, which I’m not big on (fried, fried, and fried some more maybe with some queso), but the last couple of times I’ve been, I’ve found the service to be lacking and the dishes over-sized, and under-imagined. That being said, if you’ve never been and you’re looking for some Austin/Texas-kitsch, you should check it out. 


Every newcomer should go to the Ranch once. Order the frog’s legs and the mixed grill along with a margarita or a beer (never wine, I haven’t had a decent glass once and the last time we ordered a bottle it was corked and they still charged us for it). As you eat the Texas-sized portions before you be sure to drink in the nostalgia around you. The crazy decor is pretty cool and heh, this is an old-time Austin original. (I just wish it would update a bit for the times). ☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment