Sunday, July 11, 2010

Favorite Tex-Mex Spots in Austin

Austin has a fair number of Tex-Mex spots.  Below, a few of my favorites...


2608 West 7th Street
Austin, TX 78703
512 474-7271


The original Maudies was the first restaurant I ate at in Austin back in the late '90s.  At that time it was a definite hole in the wall replete with Elvis decor (confusing to a transplanted New Yorker... Elvis & Tex-Mex???)  and spicy fresh salsa.  Alas, times have changed.  The spot is just as popular as ever, but it has expanded significantly.  The fajitas are still excellent, but they seem to have changed the salsa recipe (much to my dismay).  It's still tasty, just not fantastic.  I would recommend for a lazy weekend fajita and margarita fix!  ☆☆☆


310 Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78701
512 472-7555


Manuels occupies a space on Congress Avenue.  When we first started going there more than a decade ago, it was somewhat of a lonely outpost.  With the revitalization downtown it has certainly gained good company.  The design of the restaurant has a downtown edge to it - black leather banquettes, high ceilings, a touch of neon.  It is also a bit more of a refined Tex-Mex or really just Mexican food experience.  They have great seafood entrees, enchiladas and chile con queso (it's made with real cheese!!!).  Takes reservations and good for a fancier date... ☆☆☆


1412 South Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78704
512 462-9925


I discovered Gueros during college.  My best friend and I, upon our return to Austin, would always immediately hit Gueros.  Located on South Congress, it has a great, hipster SoCo vibe.  It's in this old brick building and the inside has this airy but vintage edge.  There are fantastic pictures of old Texas and Mexico decorating the walls.  The food is good.  I like going for their a la carte tacos because I usually fill up on chips and salsa before hand (the salsa verde is tangy and pretty spicy - not for the faint of heart but delish).  Luckily the margaritas are tasty as well because you will likely be sipping on one waiting for a table.  They don't take reservations and the wait can be long.... ☆☆☆


2004 South 1st Street
Austin, TX 78704-5142
(512) 441-5446


I became acquainted with Polvo's when I moved to the Bouldin Creek area.  Located on South First, Polvo's has the super funky edge that epitomizes much of 78704.  It has a nice outdoor seating area that people seem to wait in long lines for.  It styles itself as being more interior Mexican, but I still find it significantly Tex-Mexish to give it that label.  The food, in my estimation, is ok.  I really like the salsa bar - they have 6-8 different salsas on offer.  If you're feeling like a more low-key, but definitely Austin Tex-Mex experience, I'd check this place out.  ☆☆


360 Nueces Street
Austin, TX 78701
512 320-8226

Garrido's is a new Tex-Mex restaurant located on the first floor of the Austin 360 building.  It has a great outdoor porch area over-looking shoal creek.  The interior is very nicely done with a haute-Mexican, almost elegant feel.  The food is on the lighter side (the portions aren't huge either).  They have great tacos, which you can mix and match.  I like the Mojo de Ajo Shrimp and the Mahi Mahi BLT versions.  I confess, I haven't gotten much beyond the taco portion of the menu.  Probably one other standout is their wine list - they have one and it's actually pretty well-edited.  I enjoyed a nice glass of an Argentine Torrontes recently.  I would definitely recommend.  ☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment