Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Steeping Room ☆☆☆☆


11410 Century Oaks Terrace
Austin, TX 78758
512 977-8337


The Steeping Room is a sweet little tea shop/cafe in the Domain - it has an amazing selection of teas.  I try to eat there on the weekends when I'm in town - I get a little caffeine fix before I head out for my shopping errands.  You can sit indoors (the space is small, a little austere, but still comfy) or outdoors under shady umbrellas.  The people watching is great. If you're in the area I would highly recommend checking them out for brunch or lunch. 

The Steeping Room has an amazing selection of tea.  They must have anywhere from 75 to a 100 available depending on the day.  I am a green tea addict and love to sample all of the different offerings, though I've discovered my true love is a light Japanese option called Gyokuro Kin "Also know as Precious Dew Pearl,” Gyokuro is a very famous tea in Japan. Partially shade grown to enhance the green color, flavor, and healthful properties. A very elegant tea with natural sweetness."  Once your order their tea, they will steep them to perfection for you.  Also, if you dine in and can't finish your pot, they will gladly get you a to go cup.  (They serve coffee and some soft drinks as well).  The other fun areas of their drinks menu are their "Tea-Tails" and Freezes.  I like getting their Mojteato on hot days - mint, green tea, lime, agave syrup and sparkling water.  If I'm looking for something more filling, I get the Matcha Freeze - green tea, banana, milk and ice.  As long as you are in the mood for tea, they have the beverage for you!

The Steeping Room is also a fantastic little cafe serving "tea-inspired" cuisine.  They offer what I think of as English-tea and Asian-tea styled foods.  All the options have the highest-quality ingredients, are healthy and just darn tasty.  You could, for example, order tea sandwiches (they have quite a few varieties, my favorites are the salmon gravlax, malaysian pork and lemon edamame) with a scone, clotted cream and jelly on the side to go with a fragant earl grey tea.  Or you could go in a wholly different direction, order the napa rolls (soft spring rolls stuffed with veggies, noodles and either chicken or tofu) with a matcha dusted brownie for dessert to have with your Lu Shan Clouds and Mist (a great Chinese green tea).  Or, you could skip the whole lunch thing and go straight for breakfast first thing in the morning.  They have great home made granola served with White Mountain's excellent bulgarian style yogurt.  If you're more classic, try the Morning Meal - eggs your way, bacon or soysage, toast and fruit.  They also have amazing baked goods.  I mean, I love their pine nut plum scone and it takes sheer willpower not to order one of their cupcakes from the display case every time I'm there. 

Next time you're at the Domain, stop by the Steeping Room.  Even if you don't eat there, get a tea to go and just see if you can walk away from the baked goods case empty-handed.... Delish! ☆☆☆       

No comments:

Post a Comment