Monday, December 14, 2009

Dai Due

Austin, TX
512-769-7261

Dai Due is an awesome Austin institution. It began as a roving supper club, but has evolved to include an epicurean butcher shop and cooking school as well as a supper club which excels at promoting locally produced Austin fare.

My husband and I first encountered Dai Due over a year ago. We attended a supper club entitled "The Whole Hog Boucherie Dinner". It was outdoors at Rain Lilly Farm. The food was fantastic and creative, especially considering the whole meal was centered around a single pig and locally available produce.
Since that time, I've followed Dai Due from their regular e-mail updates as well as in the national press. Earlier this year they began offering their handcrafted sausages and other condiments through a butcher shop operation. They were originally located in a little house off of West 5th, but have since moved to the much more convenient location of the Austin Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. They have an astounding variety of fresh sausages (right now I'm eyeing the Cotechino they are offering for the holiday season), stocks, terrines and pates - I am in LOVE with their liverwurst (something I thought I would never say), pre-cooked items, as well as condiments - their Fireman's Four Mustard is excellent with everything! I've been regularly ordering from them for months. The only things I haven;t tried are their hot off the grill breakfast and lunch items which they prepare at the market. Judging by the lines, they must be pretty darn good...

No comments:

Post a Comment