Sunday, December 20, 2009

La Boîte

La Boîte - initial impressions
1700 South Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78704
Open seven days a week, 7am-4pm(ish) weekdays, 9am-5pm(ish) weekend

This morning was gloriously sunny (though freezing). We decided that we wanted to run out for a light breakfast that we could savor in the warm comfort of our kitchen. We've been driving past the little La Boîte stand on South Lamar for a few weeks and as a result our curiosity had been piqued. I found the website, which was nicely designed, and the french-influenced pastry menu looked simple but potentially delicious. Our decision was made.

We made it over just as the proprietor was opening up. It is a very well designed trailer - the most complete I've seen - the customer can actually walk inside it! There's a little glass case containing the pastries and ample counter space for the espresso machine and cash register (they take credit cards by the by!) There is a well organized outdoor space under an awning with a pretty gravel/stone patio and stools. If the morning wasn't so chilly, we would have had our breakfast there.

I ordered a Croissant aux Amandes and a small Café Latte; my husband ordered the Sausage Brioche and two Mexican Wedding Cookies because they looked so tasty. The proprietor was nice enough to heat up our pastries in the oven before we left.

As a back story, a couple of years ago I spent an extended period of time in London. I loved living there - it's so refined and stately but culturally diverse and vibrant at the same time. I managed to have a wonderful time eating my way through fabulous Indian, Kurdish, Portuguese, etc. restaurants that abound there. One of my true loves, though, became the simple almond croissant. I managed to eat them several times a week. Upon returning to Austin, I set about finding a suitable replacement almond croissant - but to no avail. There just aren't any really good options! So, I was really excited to try La Boîte's version. I am happy to report that, while not strictly traditional, it is quite tasty! I will definitely be adding it to my weekend indulgences list! It had a lovely crunch, a buttery edge, and a well balanced sweetness. Yummy!

Also, the Latte was nicely prepared - the coffee didn't have that burnt taste that others (Starbuck's especially) sometimes have. I'm going to try ordering one there on my way to work tomorrow. I wonder how they handle the morning rush? I might have to get another almond croissant as well... It's the holiday season, right? We're not supposed to stick to healthy diets....

My husband found the Sausage Brioche pleasant but not stunning. It was very simple and reminded us of some of the pastry options in the U.K. and Australia, actually (we were there earlier this year). I think they might be a little too bland for American, especially Texan, tastes. But the Mexican Wedding Cookies were excellent! La Boîte offers a baguette sandwich special as well as other pastries (including one that sounds like a quiche). I definitely plan on sampling more of the offerings in the future.

Overall, I'm really excited by this very recent SoLa addition! Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment