Saturday, December 19, 2009

Flip Happy Crepes ☆☆☆





400 Josephine Street Austin TX 78704
512-552-9034

Open Wed-Sun 10:00 ~ 2:30ish'
Cash/Check Only

Flip Happy Crepes opened in a small trailer on South Lamar, near Oltorf in 2006. Since opening, it has moved north to Josephine St, just behind House Wine and P. Terrys. During that time, it has experienced a meteoric rise in popularity and notoriety with appearances on Bobby Flay and write ups in Food and Wine, the NY Times, and, of course, Texas Monthly. Flip Happy is one of the best of its genre - Austin trailer eateries.

I've been a Flip Happy devotee for a couple of years now, and I can definitely say that they have only continued to improve on an already great concept!

Flip Happy is a purveyor of savory and sweet crepes (priced from $3.50 to $7.50). They sell these crepes from their little trailer, which is comfortably situated in a graveled area of a parking lot, replete with brightly colored picnic tables and chairs under light awnings. Parking is still a bit tight, but manageable.

Over time, the owners have solidified their offerings of savory crepes, but continue to provide specials on a daily basis. I've had their spinach, goat cheese, caramelized onions and tomato, as well as their ham and Gruyere with mornay and scallions. One of my favorites was a merguez sausage special. This past weekend, my husband and I were both intrigued by the "Moroccan". It involved chicken, roasted veggies, harissa and buttermilk feta. It was amazing - like a tagine in a crepe! Despite being only moderately hungry, I managed to finish off the entire crepe. The veggies were so flavorful, and the harissa sauce gave a nice bite of spice and tang to the entire concept. I would definitely recommend this option.

I tend to be a traditionalist when it comes to my sweet crepes. Ever since a trip to Paris with my mother and sisters in high school, I've been a crepe avec sucre (crepe with sugar) addict. During that trip, we each had one of these simple concoctions every single day. Lovely. As a result, I generally order the sugar and lemon crepe. luckily, my husband has no such hang ups and gleefully orders the specials, when they entice him, and the nutella and banana option when they don't. It is simple but tasty. While Flip Happy tends to lightly griddle their savory crepes, the sweet crepes are left to be light and flexible. If you have a chocolate craving, the nutella crepes will definitely hit the spot.

Overall, I highly recommend Flip Happy! ☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment